Six on Saturday 28/10/17

Well it doesn’t seem like a week since I was writing the one for last week, the weather that effects us gardeners more than others, ended up being pretty wet but so warm this week thankfully drying out a little towards the end of the week, with that strange yellow thing in the sky appearing for one day. The rumour is Jack Frost could be arriving this week, I wonder how tough he will be, need to get the rest of my tender plants in overcome this weekend, hopefully to save them for next years enjoyment. Anyway here are this weeks 6 highlights from my own and my clients gardens.

This lovely hydrangea has decided it’s time to flower again for some reason, seems a common occurrence amongst hydrangeas this year, never mind, we get to enjoy their beautiful flowers for a little longer!
Acer palmatum Dissectum Atropurpureum delights us in this garden with its purple foliage during the summer months and then turns this wonderful colour in the autumn supposed to be a slow growing shrub, it loves the clay soil on this site and is now putting on about a foot of growth every year
Time for some hips and Rosa glauca is having one last throw of the delight dice, after thrilling is all summer with its grey foliage and small but perfectly formed pink flowers, it finishes the season with some great hips and I love great hips!
Iris foetidissima is better known as the stinking iris mainly as the flowers and to a lesser degree the foliage just stink! It’s a horrid cat wee smell and for me the only saving graces are it is a british native, the leaves are evergreen and the seed pods are stunning,
Leaf piles! Nothing and I repeat nothing says autumn more than a pile of leaves and no matter how long it takes me to produce a huge leaf ruck I can not help myself going through it and kicking some into the air, grabbing a handful and just smelling them, only to be done with fresh dry leaves I may add! Fallen leaves are the sign summer is over and the naked trees a sign winter is here
Spiders spiders everywhere! Wherever you look at this time of year the evidence of spiders can be found in hedges, grass and borders. Their cobwebs are like natures own deadly decorations bringing in winter, really luck to get this one after a heavy mist the other day!
I hope you enjoyed my 6 on Saturday from both mine and a clients garden. If you did please checkout other people’s 6 on the memes founder website https://thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com/ I love seeing other people’s plants and what’s happening in their gardens. Why not give it ago yourself next week and give me a shout so I can take a look

Until next week, have fun in the garden

22 Comments Add yours

1. cavershamjj says:

That acer looks fabulous. I’ve had two over the years, killed them both.

2. tonytomeo says:

While you had that strange yellow thing appear in the sky, we had a strange profusion of drops of water falling from the sky! It was SO strange! It was like water for free!

Liked by 2 people

1. thomashort says:

Hahaha we do get lots of that free water from the sky Just the sun lamp forgets us too often

3. chicu says:

a lovely, lovely six this time. And your photos so wonderfully grab the lusciousness of it all. I wish we had some of that rain! all my plants (and my skin) are looking parched..

1. thomashort says:

Thank you, we do have a little bit of rain here spare if you would like some! Maybe swap it for a little bit of sun, not seen enough of it this autumn so far

4. John Kingdon says:

I’ve got one of those acers. Half of it went straight from purple to bare; the other half is still purpleish with brown edges. Doesn’t look like I’ll see an autumn performance this year. Brian seems to have done for my garden spiders. All the webs blew away last weekend and I haven’t seen one since, just the odd string stretched somewhere as a sign that the spider couldn’t be bothered or fell victim to a passing bird. Finding six is proving hard today. May need to book a day return to Dubai!

1. thomashort says:

Lol yes Dubai sounds nice doesn’t, shame about the acers they are just so beautiful when they turn, did you get much damage rom Brian?

5. The stinking iris really is lovely. Might have to keep an eye open for that one, if it will tolerate some summer heat. I wonder if it is related to Iris domestica which also has seed pods that open to expose berry-like seed.

1. thomashort says:

Yes it does like it dry not too sure how much heat it can take but is worth ago isn’t

6. A. JoAnn says:

Wow! love the spider web, and the Japanese maple colors are gorgeous

1. thomashort says:

Thank you 😀 I was very lucky to get the photo perfect day for it

7. mrsdaffodil says:

You WERE lucky to get that spiderweb photo. Lovely! And the leaf piles remind me of all the raking I still need to do.

1. thomashort says:

Lol the leaves never stop do they, I must admit I did feel lucky with it, just one of those perfect mornings 😀

8. I’ve got two smallish acers in pots. They have gorgeous leaves and every year I look forward to the autumn colour and every year they defoliate in the blink of an eye

1. thomashort says:

The autumn colour never seems to last for long when they are in pots does it ☹️

1. That’s the problem. I’m wary of planting them out as I don’t think they’ll like my very limey soil. Pots are the compromise

2. thomashort says:

Yes they aren’t too good on lime soil ☹️ found some cultivars are better than others just can’t remember which ones now

Liked by 1 person

9. Lovely photos again, I particularly the rose hips. Didn’t naughty children used to make itching powder from them? Those look good enough to eat!

1. thomashort says:

Thank you 😊 yes they did indeed, I may off spent a little time in my childhood trying to dry the fine hairs off lol

Liked by 1 person

10. Some amazing photos this week Thomas, great stuff. Love the acer, and those rose hips.

11. This was lovely to read and the acer looks marvellous. I didn’t get round to doing the Six blog this week but hopefully will do one in a while.

1. thomashort says: